Monday, June 8, 2020

Chicago week 2

 Hello from Waukegan!!!

   Never thought that's how I would open an email... but so far so good for the first week in the new area! It's been quite the ride and feels like I've been here forever already, but in a good way. My new companions are Elder Sloan and Elder Jones, they are super awesome and we have had nonstop fun this past week. There's never a dull moment in this companionship.

   The people we are teaching are definitely a lot different than those in the YSA ward. I have really enjoyed teaching and meeting these people.

   Some if those we are teaching are Gary, Keron, Gerald, Brenda, and JeNyiah. They are all on date to be baptized and super awesome.

   I'll share a little about Gary. He's been taught for a while by the missionaries and learned a lot about the Book of Mormon and Restoration. He has been chewing tobacco and smoking cigars for most his life, which has been his biggest trial. He has had cancer in his neck and cheek from it, but still hadn't been able to quit. Then Elder Sloan and Jones taught the Word of Wisdom and started him on this 15 step plan that helps people stop using. He has been clean for 2 weeks now! It's been amazing to see the change and his determination to prepare for baptism. Part of the 15 step program is using grapefruit juice to deal with cravings, and let me tell you, I have never seen a man that can put down as much grapefruit juice as Gary. He'll drink 2 gallons in a day sometimes! It's insane! But we're going to do whatever it takes to keep him clean, even if it means spending all our money on grapefruit juice. 

   With the riots going on, the mission has been extra careful about going out. A Walgreens and Target near our house were actually looted, so that's pretty insane. But we're all safe so far! (Don't worry mom). 

   Another cool thing that I'm learning to enjoy is finding on Facebook! Who would have ever guessed! So basically I go around joining local groups and friending everyone that lives close. If they accept, then we create a group and ask them how they're doing! It's absolutely exhausting, believe it or not. But it's starting to grow on me. I've been using my Tagalog skills to join all the Filipino groups and drop mad Tagalog on them. It's fun. 

   I know I'm where I need to be and that Heavenly Father knew all along that this is where I would end up. It's amazing to witness the Gospel going on even when the world seems to stop. I know it will continue until the work is done. 

   Thank you all for your love and support! Hope you don't get struck down for skipping all this and looking at the pictures!

     Elder Banister