Friday, October 26, 2018

MTC week 1

Mural from the MTC


What a happy surprise to get an e-mail only a few days after leaving Kolby at the MTC. His p-day must be Friday! Just a note: Hazel's special name for Kolby is bobo and his special suitcase was over 65 lbs full of Mountain Dew!!

Hello family, it's been a crazy first few days. I'm on the top floor in the dorm building and I had to haul the "special" suitcase all the way up 4 flights of stairs. Now I've earned everything that's in there and will appreciate it more I guess. Tagalog is supposed to be similar to Spanish but so far I don't see the connection, but hopefully I will as I learn more. Wednesday hit like a ton of bricks, especially when we first walked into language class and our instructor started rambling on in Tagalog. There's a lot to learn and it feels like I'm already running out of time.
I have started to learn some of the language though, yesterday I learned that bobo is a derogatory word that means stupid or dumb in the Philippines, so that's ironic. I have pretty nice elders in my dorm, they're all from Utah. I'm curious to see if this food really does make me gain weight also.  It's not bad, but definitely not as good as at home. I saw my friend elder Makaafi and elder Seyfreid and I've never been happier to see those two. It was really awesome and made me feel better about being here. I hope time goes as fast as they say it does and that I survive these next few weeks. I miss you all and don't forget to take care of my motorcycle.

Love, Elder Banister

Kolby and Terrence (a friend from our home ward!) Philippines and Germany!